TomTom releases new update for Speed Cameras for iPhone app
~ App includes 12 months' free subscription to the service ~
Amsterdam, 13 November 2012 – TomTom today releases an update to its Speed Cameras app for iPhone (version 1.1). The latest version comes with an introductory promotion which gives drivers a free 12-month subscription to Speed Cameras. The app also includes new features, drivers will now receive audible and visual speed camera alerts when the app is running in the background or the screen is off. Average speed check support has improved, helping drivers to stay below the limit, even when exiting a tunnel.
The Speed Cameras app for iPhone warns drivers of upcoming fixed and mobile cameras, helping them to stay safe and avoid fines. It informs drivers of their speed, the speed limit, the type of camera ahead and the remaining distance to reach it. With the latest version of the app, both new and existing customers will receive 12 months of the Speed Cameras service for free. Existing customers will get an extra, free year of the service when their active subscription expires.
"We're delighted to offer a free year of Speed Cameras with the app," says Gerry Hinds, Vice-President Mobile at TomTom. "Our Speed Cameras service is already powered by a 1.6-million-strong community of drivers. That's everyone using the service on their satnav, in-dash navigation system or smartphone. As more and more drivers share newly added or removed cameras with each other, the service will get even better and benefit from the power of the growing community."
The latest version of the app also gives drivers the option to receive warnings for mobile camera hotspots. The update also allows drivers to stream audio alerts to the TomTom Hands-free car kit, or other A2DP Bluetooth compatible devices, to amplify the sound.
Notes for editors
Anonymous data collected from 1.6 million drivers* in 15 countries** means that camera locations are accurate and up to date. The app gives drivers 95% coverage of fixed camera locations and real-time updates for mobile speed cameras.
The next release of the Speed Cameras app for iPhone version will include a Western European app, so that when drivers cross country borders they will still receive the Speed Cameras service.
Pricing and Availability
*The community includes drivers using Portable Navigation Devices, fleet management solutions, in-dash and mobile devices. **The app is available on iPhone in the following countries: UK & Ireland, Austria, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Poland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland.
For new customers, the app is available for free in the Apple App Store.
Current users of the app with an active subscription can upgrade to version 1.1 via the App Store. They'll receive an additional 12 months of Speed Cameras free of charge when their current subscription expires.
The TomTom Hands-Free Car Kit for iPhone is available in selected retail stores and from the TomTom.com website, priced at €99.95.
Improvements to the TomTom Speed Cameras app for iPhone
- Alerts in background - The latest version of the app emits an audible and visual alert if another app is in use or the screen is off, when approaching a camera.
- Average speed check support - The app monitors drivers' speeds to help them stay below the limit within average speed check zones. The updated version gives a single warning when drivers are above the speed limit inside the zone, and remains silent after. It also helps drivers to stay below the limit in average speed check zones, even when exiting a tunnel.
- Warnings for mobile camera hotspots - These are areas where mobile cameras are more likely to appear, as they have been reported there previously. With the latest version of the app, drivers can activate warnings for these locations.
- Streaming audio alerts - Drivers can stream audio alerts to their TomTom Hands-free Car Kit, or any other device that supports A2DP Bluetooth, to optimise the sound.
Existing features of the app
- World-class mapping technology - Reliably pinpoints drivers' exact locations and that of speed cameras.
- Support from TomTom's Speed Camera community - 1.6 million drivers in 15 countries can help improve the quality of the service by sharing newly added or removed cameras with each other.
- Easy, one-tap camera reporting - Helps drivers to share mobile camera locations with the rest of the TomTom community.
- Real-time updates on mobile camera locations - Gives warnings on mobile speed cameras, including reports from our own trusted TomTom Speed Camera community.
- 95% coverage of fixed camera location - Provides drivers with thousands of up-to-date fixed speed camera locations.
- Precisely timed camera alerts - With a countdown of the distance to an approaching camera, drivers will know the camera's exact location.
- Early warnings for cameras around corners - This means drivers won't be caught out by cameras when they turn onto a new road.
- Speed limit display - Even when there is no camera approaching.
- Colour-coded warning system - Makes it easy for drivers to see if they need to slow down.