TomTom launches Speed Camera app for iPhone
~ New app will keep drivers safe and informed ~
Amsterdam, 4 May 2012 – TomTom today releases the TomTom Speed Camera app for iPhone, giving drivers access to fixed and mobile speed camera alerts. Powered by the largest European driving community with 1.6 million drivers in 15 countries*, the app improves safety by keeping users informed about speed limits during their journey. Consequently, it helps users to avoid costly speeding fines and, in some countries, points on their driving license.
The TomTom Speed Camera app offers access to TomTom’s premium Speed Camera service in a standalone app. The app has a new dedicated user interface that is easy to use. It informs drivers of their speed, the speed limit, the type of camera ahead and the remaining distance to reach it. A colour-coded warning system quickly and effectively alerts users if they need to slow down.
“Our Speed Camera service can be of real benefit, helping people to stay focused as they know where the next camera will be,” says Gerry Hinds, Vice President Mobile at TomTom. “We all know that confident driving is safer driving. And that’s why we’re so pleased that we can now offer this accessible service to a much larger segment of the driving community.”
The app includes real-time customer reports from drivers that share newly added or removed cameras with each other. It gives drivers 95% coverage of fixed camera locations and real-time updates for mobile speed cameras. In addition, the app offers average speed check support. This helps drivers stay below the limit within average speed check zones.
Availability and pricing
- The TomTom Speed Camera app for iPhone is now available for download from the Apple App Store.
- The TomTom Speed Camera app itself is free to download, but requires a monthly or annual subscription that can be purchased from within the app.
- TomTom is offering an introductory price of €1.59 for one month or €18.99 for 12 months.
- Normal price will be €4.99 for one month, €29.99 for twelve months.
*The app is available on iPhone in the following countries: UK & Ireland / Austria & Germany / Belgium, Netherlands & Luxembourg / Spain & Portugal / Italy / Poland / Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland.
Notes for editors
- Images of the latest app are available at
- Interviews are offered by Mark Huijnen, Product Marketing Mobile at TomTom.
- World-class mapping technology - reliably pinpoints your exact location and that of speed cameras.
- Support from TomTom’s Speed Camera community – 1.6 million users in 15 countries can help improve the quality of the service by sharing newly added or removed cameras with each other.
- Easy, one-tap camera reporting – helps drivers to share mobile camera locations with the rest of the TomTom community.
- Real-time updates on mobile camera locations – gives warnings on mobile speed cameras, including reports from our own trusted TomTom Speed Camera community.
- 95% coverage of fixed camera location - provides the driver with thousands of up-to-date fixed speed camera locations.
- Precisely timed camera alerts – with a countdown of distance to an approaching camera, so the driver knows the camera’s exact location.
- Early warnings for cameras around corners – so that drivers are not caught out by cameras when they turn onto a new road.
- Average speed check support - monitors a driver’s speed to help them stay below the limit within average speed check zones.
- Speed limit display - even when there is no camera approaching.
- Colour-coded warning system – makes it easy for drivers to see if they need to slow down.
The TomTom Speed Camera app does not offer turn-by-turn navigation
The main TomTom Navigation app for iPhone and iPad offers turn-by-turn navigation as well as the Speed Camera service, and is available in the ‘navigation’ category of the App Store.